Monday, August 13, 2007

Toxic Peanut Butter

This past Saturday, I had the incredible opportunity to join six members of our congregation in serving at a camp for children whose parents have Multiple Sclerosis. Man, was I impressed. (Not just with the camp, though it was pretty incredible.) What incredibly mature, and mostly postive, kids ages 9-12.

One of the goals of the camp is to help the children experience what people with MS go through when their symptoms 'flair up'. So as all 18 kids were attempting to get across the 'pool of toxic peanut butter' without stepping off the small wooden discs, they also had to help about 1/3 of their team members who were wearing ankle weights, or 'blurry vision' glasses, or oven mits on their hands. It would be hard enough to make it over the 30 ft. pit without barriers, but give me a break. That toxic peanut butter is pretty nasty stuff.

What amazed me most is that the kids were so supportive of the ones with the barriers...as if they somewhat understood them already. Maybe it was because they dealt with parents who had hinderences on a daily basis. Either way, it challenged me to plow through my little knee injury from a Friday night tennis match with my son...and not complain about it too much.

Most of all, it challenged me to think about those who are going through life...all around me...with the weight of life burdens around their legs, and vision that is blurred by culture and sin, and hearts that have become so insulated to the pressures of life that they cannot feel the incredible love of God that is trying to touch them. Maybe I can help a few across the 'toxic peanut butter' this week.?.?.?

No comments: