Tuesday, August 14, 2007

As If Cultural Pressure Was Not Enough...

I read this morning of a church being sued in New England for not allowing a same-sex marriage ceremony to take place in their facility. After a short cheer in my heart, I went on to read of what troubles me much more. Seeing conflict within the church, especially in days when around the world His Kingdom is expanding so rapidly, really bothers me. Experience has taught me in very practical ways what the Bible teaches...that although Satan cannot destroy the church, he surely can distract her.

The headlines about churches and denominations split over doctrinal and moral issues is not new. As I read this morning again, the early church dealt with the same stuff. It's not new in our setting. But even as I was reading this morning about the early church and, as well, of those today who are taking a stand for what is right, I was struck in my devotions about the promise of God to protect His church and her purity.

Although He recognizes outside persecution and promises to bring eventual judgement, our Lord goes quickly inside the church to uncover heresy and immorality. His exhortation was this: "Repent or else I am coming to you quickly, and I will make war against them with the sword of My mouth." (Rev. 2:16) I pray today that our church and our denomination will stay to the Word of God in doctrine and morality...but not just the SBC. May Satan have no place in God's church who is His planned agent to take the good new to the entire world.

No comments: