Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Just Another Hurdle on the Journey of Life? Really?

I was troubled this morning to read that another ministry marriage is breaking up. Interestingly, the couple are both televangelists / pastors in a Florida megachurch (22,000 members). It seems that over the past few months, they have been drifting apart...partly due to his beginning a new ministry effort on the west coast and her new ministry in New York. It is incredibly sad. Their announced divorce leaves me with more than the inevitable questions about causes...but drifts to the rest of the story. He is planning to remain as the leader of the megachurch and she is planning to continue her television preaching. Of course, a little statement at the end of the story reminds us that both were previously married and divorced.

It could bother me that they were previously divorced and in ministry. It could bother me that a woman is the pastor. It could bother me that ministry seems to have driven a wedge in their relationship that an all-powerful God is seemingly unable to fix. It could bother me that a church or denomination does not rise up and say 'enough'. It could bother me that a television network would continue to air their sermons. (And all of this does bother me.) But what bothers me the most is that this just seems to be another hurdle in their life journey and their personal minsitries will just continue as usual...instead of a being a traumatic earthquake in the lives of two people who made a loving, permanent covenant with God and each other.

As Christians, we've all been disappointed by 'televangelists' and pastors before. But what does it say to a lost world about what we believe about God and his thoughts about marriage? We need a better picture. I pray Lesa and I can / will paint a much better one for them that will demonstrate the grace, love and power of our incredible God.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am praying that also with you, as well as for Brenda and I.
Can I get in the league too?????