Friday, August 24, 2007

Carpool Lines, Guidance Counselors, and Politicians

It has been an interesting week as our kids began public school for the first time in South Carolina. We are blessed to live in one of the best districts in the state...so remind Lesa and I of that while we're sitting for 2 hours in carpool lines each day. There must be a better way to pass the time...reading almost got me in a bumper bender already. But we survived and look forward to seeing / hearing our incredible son, Nathan, play in the band at his first home football game tonight. He has displayed so much maturity these last few weeks.

Working through class schedules, open houses, registrations, etc. did not used to be so hard...at least not until college. However, I am grateful for one especially nice guidance counselor who took time for us this morning...even when the front desk was ready to turn us away. Thanks Mr. K for helping a 15 year old adjust. Maybe that helped me decide to spend a little extra time today with a mom and daughter who wanted to tour the 'Ballet' (Church) today to help a little girl adjust. They also got invited to church.

Finally, can I say that I was deeply impressed by two meetings I attended in the past 24 hours. Last night, a town hall meeting with my State Senator, Kevin Bryant. Great guy...great values...great discernment...great patience. I would like to have smacked the old guy who ranted for 20 minutes to the audience about the water problem in his yard on a county road. (...like KB could do anything about it.) I guess it made him feel better and showed the patience of a public servant.

This morning I was blessed to sit with Dr. Jim Austin, our new SCBC Executive Director. He too was all of those good things. I was encouraged by some of the other servants of God in the room who really have a heart for people, the church, and God's Kingdom. However, before things got too positive, we listened to a few tell us how to make our 'church' people feel more love and care, with no mention of leading them out of their comfort zone to reach their JJSE.

If I hear the term 'mission minded' one more time... (I might be tempted to go back and smack the old ranting guy at the town hall meeting.) It was a clear reminder of why Steve Sojourn quotes stats (today in Christian Report) that now show 98% of U.S. churches are plateaued or declining. If all we had to do was help 'church' people feel loved and meet their needs, pastoring would be much simpler. But the last I read in the NT, shepherds were not just to keep their sheep fed, loved and happy in the fold. I was glad to see and hear both a State Senator and a Baptist leader who were not stereotypical politicians. Lead on!

No comments: