Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Communicating with Questions

I had a neat experience this morning. I had to go to a difficult meeting. I struggled to go to sleep last night and awoke at 5:00 a.m. and could not sleep. So I began to pray...and analyze what I should do. I don't know about you, but I tend to spend more time trying to figure it out than listening for God's answers. Finally, around 6:00 a.m. I gave up trying to figure it out and fell asleep...only to hear the alarm 45 minutes later.

As I got to my meeting early this morning, God seemed to speak to me and tell me to be slow to state anything, but to rather to ask questions. The truth was that questions were really all I had to offer. So I had to resist the GUY thing of having answers. Amazingly, the person with whom I was meeting responded incredibly and communicated the fact that he tried every way he could think of to figure out a solution and was only left with questions. By communicating our questions, however, we were able to arrive at a possible solution to the difficult situation.

A little bit later, while reading God's Word, I saw the story of a group of people who were perplexed in a serious situation. Their questions were of the 'life determining' nature. Then enter Jesus...and rather than proclaiming how stupid they were (which He had the right and position to do), He asked questions. His questions helped the people figure out the answers themselves. What a novel idea...or not?

1 comment:

CRJ/DJS said...

thanks Art. A great reminder
lets think together about some of the greatest questions Jesus ever asked along with the apparent results . . .