Monday, July 30, 2007

Souveniers

Have you been watching Barry Bond's chase for the Major League Baseball homerun record, currently held by Hank Aaron? Especially since moving to Atlanta Braves territory, I have seen the Aaron replay so many times. However, the media (rightly or wrongly) is struggling to focus on Bond's potential accomplishment...but instead is focusing on the stories surrounding it. One that has caught my attention is the crew of kayak paddlers in the McCovey cove outside the park awaiting the souvenier of a lifetime.

If the ball were to go into the water, then who would get to it first? Would they value it so highly that they would keep it, or would they sell it for a profit? Mark McGwire's single season record ball is worth a ton of money...even though he is also facing personal scrutiny. It makes me wonder if I will finish well enough for anything that I have touched to be valued by anyone.

But today, I was reading about an item that was not auctioned off on Ebay, but was instead gambled for at the foot of a cross. It was owned and worn by a pretty popular guy in history who's life was also ripped with scandel. I am sure that someone would love to have it today. I wonder what it would be worth? But I am left with a penetrating question: Would we spend more time focused on the garment or the accomplishment of the One who wore it?

1 comment:

CRJ/DJS said...

Thanks Art -- I do have focus issues at times - the sensational over the sacred - keep thinking