Monday, May 11, 2009

Thoughts Before the Funeral

It is a difficult day as I prepare to travel to Ohio for my grandfather's funeral. He was the last of my grandparents...so I guess I cannot pretend to be young any longer. The difficulty arises on many fronts. He is my mother's dad...and she (along with her 4 sibblings) loves her dad. But perhaps the most difficult is that he spent the majority of his life (the part that we all knew him) without any interest in a relationship with God.

For you who may read this and begin thinking about emoting something about 'the sovereignty of God'...I get it. It is not up to me to pass judgment. Thank God it is not up to me. But it seems a bit strange. Though (of my grandparents) he was by far the least engaged in my life through the years...it seems as though I am experiencing the greatest sadness and sorrow in my heart.

I know that God could call me today...whether I believe I am young or old. But the overwhelming thought that has dominated my mind over the past 2 days are the simple words of a song recorded by Karen Wheaton some years ago (the words of a parent to their child concerning eternity in heaven with God)... "JUST BE THERE".

2 comments:

Karen Glazier said...

Hi,

I was wondering if your grandfather was also Art Fulks who had a band called The Echo Valley Folks. If he was, my father used to play with him. His name is Marshall Looney and thankfully I can tell you he is living for the Lord.

I wondered if you could tell me something about your grandfather. I'm sure my dad would love to know.

Thanks,
Karen
kglazier@columbus.rr.com

Jfulks said...

Hello I was browsing YouTube today when my mom mentioned the echo valley boys and I found them there with my dads name Art Fulks as a member I was surprised when I seen the photo of the band and seen my dad as the basest. I wonder if you are a grand son of my dad Arthur Fulks please contact me if you are
Jackfulks@gmail.com Karen ill be in touch