Monday, June 2, 2008

Communication

This has been one of the busiest seasons in the life of our family and ministry. And as we do more in the lives of our children, our church, and community, it seems so easy to fail to communicate effectively or in a timely manner. The interesting thing that I am learning is that as I put off focusing on communicating better, the more stressed I become and the more appologies I have to make.

Why? I am reminded that our lives are about glorifying God (for certain), but they are not lived or lived out on an island. But rather, they are lived out with and through other people. I have to do a better job.

All week, last week, I knew that I needed to confirm the use of our neighborhood building for a small group fellowship...and then communicate that to the people who were going to be a part of our small groups. However, I kept putting off locating the number to call, and did not do it until Saturday night. Sunday morning, I made a quick announcement, put out a sign-up sheet, and was a bit dissappointed when only 2 families signed-up. That was not the big 'ahah' moment. It was when one family called at 6:00 p.m. and wondered where we were meeting. (We weren't until next Friday.) Another family called as well. I really blew it.

The really sad part is that this was not the only blunder for the week. So I am confessing that I will do better...because people matter. It even forced me to clarify a few things within our family last night about our week. Heaven help us to communicate and not to procrastinate. If you think we think we are too busy to communicate effectively, the reality is that we are too busy to communicate with anything less than full effort.

No comments: