Thursday, August 14, 2008

A Generation of Builders

This week has been so interesting, moving, confusing, and inspiring. Sometime you get what you plan for...and other times [as learned in my study of 'life interruptions'] you get more or less. In this case, I got more.

Sunday afternoon, I watched my family engage in helping a missionary move into their home. I am learning that I have a few leaders [builders] among the children. It was interesting to watch them.

That day, we met a few young 'builders' who are not satisfied to just rest in the comforts of their father's tents. And they were willing to get out from under the comfort and security of that umbrella to build what God had called them to build. It was so moving to hear them.

Tuesday, I heard two young men speak about building some more in a city where they had not historical roots. [or did they?] How could someone speak so passionately about something with which they were relatively unfamiliar? They had not really started building anything yet. [or had they?] I was a little confused.

But as I met with them again on Wednesday morning privately, I realized that they were talking about starting to build something physically noticeable...but the truth is that they had already started building something. God was building in them and they were already building for God, though others may not have realized it yet. That was so inspiring.

Certainly, we all build on the work of others before us and we should never think we had begun something from scratch. I read this morning how King David [Israel] wanted to build a physical house for God. But God told David something incredible. God said that His presence and His Kingdom were not dependent on David building a physical house for God. Rather, it was about being a useable builder in the hand of God for building His Kingdom on earth in the hearts of people.

We have a generation of builders coming...and some have arrived...who seem to get it. They are not concerned about building a physical house for God. They are concerned about building places where God can dwell in the hearts of people.

No comments: